Saturday 1 December 2012

Saint Andrew's Day Mass

Two schola members and wives went to Edinburgh for the Patronal Mass of the Archdiocese of St Andrews and Edinburgh, in the presence of Archbishop and Metropolitan Keith Patrick Cardinal O’Brien.

The principal celebrant was the new Auxiliary Bishop, Stephen Robson, he was accompanied by two priests in red chasubles and many other priests wearing the white chasubles from the Papal visit.

The altar was arranged with six candles and the 'Benedictine' crucifix. And there were four relics on display in silver reliquaries. I don't recall this arrangement for this Mass in previous years. Maybe the new Auxiliary has a preference for continuity rather than rupture.

Here is my shaky photo of the altar:

Click to enlarge

The Order of Service had the words and music for the Missa de Angelis Kyrie, Gloria, Sanctus and Agnus Dei. Malky and I sang with vigour. And I could read the notes and sing much more accurately than I have ever managed before. Thanks Alan.

The hymn to St Andrew was sung at the end of Mass. The prayer that "Scotland yet again may love the faith, entire and true" was made with fervour.....

When Christ our Lord to Andrew cried: “Come, thou, and follow me,”                        
the fisher left his net beside the Sea of Galilee.
To teach the truth the Master taught, to tread the path he trod
was all his will and thus he brought unnumbered souls to God.

When Andrew’s hour had come, and he was doomed, like Christ to die,
he kissed his cross exultingly, and this his noble cry:
“O noble cross! O precious wood! I long have yearned for thee;
uplift me to my only good who died on thee for me.”

The faith that Andrew taught once shone o’er all this kingdom fair;
the cross that Jesus died upon was honoured everywhere.
But times once changed and Andrew’s name was for a while forgot;
the cross, though set in kingly crown, became a sign of shame.

St Andrew now in bliss above, thy fervent prayers renew
that Scotland yet again may love the faith, entire and true;
that I the cross allotted me may bear with patient love! 
will lift me, as it lifted thee, to reign with Christ above.

Later we went to the Christmas market.
 
Angels

No comments:

Post a Comment