Friday 24 May 2013

The Spirit blows where He will

Alan had brought a new opening prayer for us, an extract from Psalm 70.
Repleatur os meum laude tua ut possim cantare; gaudebunt labia mea dum cantavero tibi. 
(Fill me with praise that I might sing. My lips rejoice when I sing to You.)
O Lord our God, through the intercession of the saints, Pius, Gregory, and Cecilia, grant us in thy mercy that through the praises we offer thee during our pilgrimage here on Earth, we may be found worthy to sing to Thee forever in heaven. In Christ our Lord, Amen"

Here's a clip from the Boston Archdiocesan Choir School, where they use Repleatur os meum laude tua as their motto. You can hear the start of the chant before the promotional video gets going.
http://www.bostonboychoir.org/about-the-school/welcome/

After the prayer, I  said that we had received an invitation to sing the parts of the Mass at an Ordinariate Mass in Edinburgh on Sunday 23 June, we agreed that some of us would try to go.

The practice got underway with the Introit for Saturday's Mass in Arbroath. Alan felt that we were mumbling a bit and had us all practice with round mouths, remembering the apple of sound. We were much better third-time around.

I took the chance to show off my knowledge of trivia. Did you know that the Pope to whom the Declaration of Arbroath was addressed was John XXII?

The document opens ' To the most Holy Father and Lord in Christ, the Lord John, by divine providence Supreme Pontiff of the Holy Roman and Universal Church'.

The same John XXII wrote the hymn Soul of my Saviour

    Anima Christi, sanctifica me.
    Corpus Christi, salva me.
    Sanguis Christi, inebria me.
    Aqua lateris Christi, lava me.
    Passio Christi, conforta me.
    O bone Jesu, exaudi me.
    Intra tua vulnera absconde me.
    Ne permittas me separari a te.
    Ab hoste maligno defende me.
    In hora mortis meae voca me.
    Et iube me venire ad te,
    Ut cum Sanctis tuis laudem te.
    In saecula saeculorum.
    Amen


Hear Vatican Radio on both and John XXIII here:
http://media01.radiovaticana.va/audiomp3/00360235.MP3
Six minutes well spent in my view.
And its 'Wash me ye waters' according to my boys own book of Latin grammer, not 'wash me WITH waters' as it reads in current hymnals.

The highlight of our session was a unanimous vote that Malky should get an honourable mention on the blog for spotting the two small diamond-shaped dots in the Communion Hymn at 'vult'. I can't find a version of the text on-line but it reads:
Spiritus ubi vult spirat, et vocem ejus audis, sed nescis unde veniat, aut quo vadat
The Spirit breatheth where he will; and thou hearest his voice, but thou knowest not whence he cometh, and whither he goeth (John 8:3 )

We all thought that they were misprints.
Alan was delighted to tell us that these were liquescents and that the l in vult should be hummed.
Well done Malky
For Malky
The Spirit blows where He will
Amusing montage here



No comments:

Post a Comment